Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Class-based consumerism in the Windy City

I started my two day vacation in Chicago today. I usually don't buy a whole lot of things in the space of a couple days, so I knew on this trip, I'd be more of a spectator to my friends rather than a big spender. One of the first stops we made was to the Polo Mansion, the three story Polo mecca decorated like a Viscount's estate. When I looked at the prices I was appalled, I spotted a $1,600 pea coat, as well as a $5,000 suit, the suit happened to look exactly like one I bought from a second-hand store for thirty bucks. I suppose it's the right of any store to set their prices at whatever they believe people will be willing to buy them for, but when I see these otherwise regular looking clothes priced in the thousands, I can't help but feeling that this is the way our society shows class, rather than proclaiming someone a duke or baron.

Sadly, this wasn't the only store with outrageous prices, almost all the stores along Michigan avenue price their items outside the reach of the common working man. I imagine the employees can't keep from wondering why middle-class looking kids like my friends and I even bother coming into their stores, just to come out feeling disappointed. I know that the materials Polo clothes are made from aren't mixed with gold, I don't believe they're much better than normal clothes, so the only reasonable solution is that "the pony" is a status symbol meant to show how rich one is, how lucky, how skilled, how extra fucking better they are than the rest of us. Some may say I'm jealous of the rich, yet I don't really want the Polo items myself, I'm just sick of seeing the little club for the rich everywhere in our society.

Chicago is a good example of what capitalism does to a society. Driving into downtown, one notices the grimy outskirts, while moving around the city, it's quite easy to take a step off Michigan avenue and end up a couple blocks away next to a trash filled gutter and a 7-11. The amount of homeless people abounds on Michigan, harassing scared shoppers who clutch their Burberry bags a little bit tighter. Such a juxtaposition in wealth makes one ask what bad karma the down and out must have provoked for life to treat them so spitefully.

When the time comes, and I start my career, I'm sure I could afford to splurge on these overpriced goods, I don't think I will though, I wouldn't feel right wearing a thousand dollar sweater when the guy walking next to me asks for some change for the bus. In our society, everyone has the right to spend their money how they choose, I just hope that in the future, people worry more about the quality of life of their neighbors, and less about seeing how many ponies they can fit into their closet.

No comments: